As the Town was growing in 1908, the need for a good central water supply prompted the citizens to begin drilling for an artesian well. The center of the Main and Broadway intersection was chosen--at the site where the flag was planted to found the Town.
The Valley had many free flowing artesian wells so the drillers were sure they would hit a good flow. They did. The San Luis Valley News reported that the well was flowing 300 barrels per day in 1909. For many years, the well was the main source of good cool water for the Town's people. One Blanca hotel even advertised in 1909 that all of the water they served came from the artesian well.
The Official Website of the Town of Blanca
Designed and Built by Jean Butler
© Jean Butler 2014
Back to Still More Town Page
Back to Pictures Page